Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Can't Find Rocks to Paint?

Some of us have an easier time finding rocks to paint than others and now that winter weather is setting in, who wants to scrounge around outdoors for stones?


Tip: Visit the Garden Department of your local stores
  • Walmart
  • Home Depot
  • Lowes
  • etc. 
to see if they have any landscaping pebbles, stones, or rocks they want to get rid of.


On a recent trip to my local Walmart, I discovered many torn bags of landscaping stones stacked near the Garden Center. When I inquired about them, I was told the torn bags were being returned for a credit, however, if I wished to purchase some, I could do so for 1/2 price.

Tip: Try to negotiate for a discount if you live in an area where winter is setting in and landscaping is the last thing on a homeowner's mind. 


These decorative, landscaping stones are the type of rocks which make my eyes light up:
  • Smooth
  • Unpolished
  • 2-3 inches in size
  • Various shapes

Here's just a small portion from the bag I purchased which have been washed and set out to dry.


Landscaping stones purchased for a discount at Walmart

Tip: Be aware that polished stones found in craft stores are pretty, however, paint doesn't adhere to them easily. It may require sanding, priming, and a few coats of paint if you use these type of store-bought pebbles.


Now I have a large supply of rocks, stones and pebbles to keep me busy painting during the winter while I'm stuck indoors.


Idea: If I paint rock garden decor, perhaps Spring will be here before I know it.


© Cindy Thomas Painted Rocks

No comments:

Post a Comment