Thursday, October 16, 2014

Rock Painting Tips for Beginners


Where to Find Rocks

For many of us, rocks are plentiful in our environment and free for the taking. If you have difficulty finding stones to paint, you can:

Note: When you click on certain links in this post, I may receive a commission for the purchase of products.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Stones purchased from Home Depot

I do not condone removing rocks from government lands or parks or a residence or business which has been landscaped with rocks. 


How to Prepare Rocks and Stones for Painting

You will need to clean and (in some cases) prime your rocks prior to painting. Read more about this tip.

Learn how to prepare stones for painting
 
How to Make Stones Stand Upright

If your rock is wobbly and you would like it to stand upright, read this tip for adding a base.

Learn how to add a base to stones
 
What Are the Best Brushes for Rock Painting?

You can use any brush to paint rocks (and I have many) but I keep returning to the same three brushes. Learn about my favorite brushes.

Learn about my favorite brushes
 
What Type of Paint is Best for Rocks and Stones?

Acrylic paint and craft acrylic both work well on rocks. The difference between them is the craft acrylic is thinner and more paint applications may be necessary. Learn about specialty paints you can also use on rocks.

Learn about specialty paints for rocks
 
Can I Use Sharpies on Painted Rocks?

Regular Sharpie markers smear and change color when a sealer is applied. Learn about paint pens suitable for rocks.

Learn more about these paint pens


How to Correct Mistakes on Painted Rocks

Learn how to fix a mistake while painting a rock and after it's finished (but before it's been sealed).

Learn how to fix mistakes on painted rocks


How to Seal and Protect Painted Rocks

Painted rocks beg to be picked up and admired and by applying a sealant, the colors remain true and the life of the painted rock is extended.  



How to Display Painted Rocks - Store-Bought and DIY Solutions

You can display painted rocks by using wooden, metal and plastic display easels, a plate stand, or DIY stand made from drapery slip-on hooks. Learn how to make your own display stand and see other options here.  


Optional Household Items


Can't Draw? No Problem
Create colorful painted stones with this no-draw technique.

Learn how to paint these stones - no drawing required

You  can trace a pattern onto a rock and paint it.

Learn how to trace a pattern onto a rock
 
Where to Find Rock Painting Ideas
Note: When you click on certain links in this post, I may receive a commission for the purchase of products.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.


My Favorite Tools and Supplies

I use these tools and supplies regularly to paint rocks and recommend them. (I may receive a commission for the purchase of products when you click on certain links in this post.)


© Cindy Thomas Painted Rocks

46 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you, Lisa. I'm glad to hear you found the information helpful.

      Delete
    2. Hi Cindy...don't forget to mention, some rocks are very porous. They tend to absorb paint, if you don't put a base coat. I actually love this fact...I use it to my advantage whilst painting my designs.

      Delete
    3. Hi Yakky. Thanks for the comment. I've edited my post "How to Prepare Rocks and Stones for Painting" to include porous rocks.
      http://paintingrocks.blogspot.com/2014/01/how-to-prepare-rocks-and-stones-for.html

      Priming will make your project go much easier for certain types of rock and stones.

      Candidates for priming:

      Smooth stones
      Dark-colored rocks and stones
      Rough, porous, and/or pitted rocks or bricks

      Delete
  2. könnten sie bitte einen button zum "übersetzen" einfügen?

    das wär toll

    lg gaby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. That's a fantastic suggestion and there is now a "translate" button at the top of the page near the search box.

      Delete
    3. i can translate for you if they cant

      Delete
    4. Thanks for the translation offer, Annique. A translate button is available on the web version of my blog.

      Delete
  3. Very helpful. I love painting on rocks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy to share the rock painting tips I've learned and glad you found them helpful, Carol. I can understand why you love painting on rocks! :-)

      Delete
  4. what about using permanent ink sharpie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can use a Sharpie permanent ink marker on a rock, BUT, a sealer will smear your work. So, if you don't plan on applying a protective sealant when your design is finished, go ahead and use the Sharpie.

      Delete
    2. I use shapes on rocks all the time and then I use sealer, no smearing. Make sure you don't spray too close, about 8 inches or so should work wonderfully. Spray thin, dry, repeat. Just an old rock artist opinion.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the tips, Anonymous. I'm glad to hear some rock artists don't have problems with Sharpies smearing when sealed.

      Delete
    4. A friend (Barbara Leggett) in our group, GH Rocks (Grays Harbor Rocks), suggested applying a layer of Elmer's Glue on the Sharpie art, allowing to dry, before applying spray sealant. It works great!!!

      Delete
    5. Thanks for the Elmer's Glue tip. I'll have to give that a try.

      Delete
    6. I experimented with white glue applied over Sharpie art prior to a sealer and it worked! The Sharpie art did not blur. You can read more on my blog post: http://paintingrocks.blogspot.com/2016/12/how-to-prevent-sharpie-permanent.html

      Delete
    7. I have used the white glue over regular sharpie method with mixed results. When I paint my MOD PODGE gloss sealer on, after the Sharpie has dried completely, it hasn't smeared yet.

      Delete
    8. Thanks for your comment about how well the Mod Podge gloss sealer performs over Sharpie pens. As you said - "the Sharpie has dried completely" and I think that's very important to achieving good results.

      Delete
  5. Will an acrylic paint with a spray sealant hold up in rain? I was thinking on making outdoor stones, but unsure if I should by enamel paint or acrylic?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy D - Acrylic paint with a spray sealant will not be waterproof. Eventually, the weather could wear away the paint. It's recommended if you use acrylic paint with a sealant and place the stone outdoors, you should check the rock every so often and apply more sealant if necessary. So, if you're concerned about the rocks being outdoors in the rain, the enamel paint may be a better choice. However, I have never used enamel paint. You could experiment with both the acrylic and enamel paints on small stones and see which one holds up better outdoors. Another option is DecoArt Patio Paint (acrylic paint with built-in sealer). But even with Patio Paint, the rock would need to be checked and resealed at times.

      Delete
  6. This is so cool. Going to make my dogs grave marker and see how it goes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is more than cool, Lisa. It's fun too! A painted rock will be a beautiful tribute and marker for your dog(s).

      Delete
  7. Ahhhh, NOW I see what kind of sealant you use!! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found my sealer info, Serenity. The short answer is Mod Podge as a first coat, followed by Americana DuraClear Satin Varnish is what I use.

      Delete
  8. Absolutely LOVE this! My granddaughter & I painted some rocks once that we found with some acrylic paints I had around the house. I made her one with a birthday cake on it because her birthday was coming up. The week prior to her day, (she was turning 5), every morning when she woke up, there was a new candle added to the cake. I told her the fairies were doing it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your birthday cake painted rock is the most clever, creative, and cute idea I've heard about! Thanks for sharing. Your granddaughter's reaction must have been priceless.

      Delete
  9. Set aside all daily duties and routine actions and thoughts. The dishes can be done later and in fact much faster once you have expressed yourself - you will be surprised. Norman Brodeur



    Norman J. Brodeur Make sure there are plenty of drop cloths on the floor in order to create as freely as possible. It is vital to have complete freedom to express yourself without being limited by making a mess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great tips for allowing the creative juices to flow freely, Norman. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  10. FYI, I bought a bag of Caribbean Beach Pebbles a year ago and they were a nice pale tan color, mostly smooth, nice shapes. Bought a bag this year and they are not the same. Very rough texture, almost like a white concrete. Same brand as last year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry to hear the Caribbean beach pebbles are not the same quality as in the past. Since rock painting has become so popular, I wonder if the supply of smooth, unpainted stones is being affected. To help make your rough stones smoother, you might try using gesso as a primer. Here's a blog post I wrote about gesso: http://paintingrocks.blogspot.com/2017/08/is-gesso-good-primer-for-painted-rocks.html

      Delete
  11. You said you use Mod Podge first then Americana Duraclear Satin Varnish-both brush-ons. Are these ok to use for outdoor rocks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use the Mod Podge/Duraclear combo for rocks kept indoors. For outdoor rocks, you may want to use Americana Patio Paint or Anita's Yard and Garden Outdoor Paint. A home and garden store may be able to recommend a good sealer for outdoor rocks.

      Delete
  12. here in Rapid City Rock Painting has taken off. They are placed in inconspicuous places around town and shared online when found..traded and kept as keepsakes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rock painting, hiding and finding has taken off all over the world, Rick. Have fun.

      Delete
  13. HI where can I get some stones to paint plz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mac. To get some stones to paint, try a local landscaping business or home improvement store. You can purchase stones online from Amazon.com (search for rock painting stones).

      Delete
  14. I really do enjoy your blog as well as your painted stones. Thank you for sharing your experience and knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the compliment. I'm happy to share what I've learned about painting rocks.

      Delete
  15. How do I sign up to be a member on this page

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry. At this time my blog does not have a sign up option.

      Delete
  16. I like rock mosaic, It would be nice to make a painting madeup of different rock coloration to form a painting. A mosaic all rock natural colors not painted

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen mosaics on rocks and they are very beautiful. I have also seen various shapes and colors of rocks used to create an artwork.

      Delete
  17. Replies
    1. You're so very welcome, Mari. Happy rock painting!

      Delete