Tuesday, January 14, 2014

How I Discovered Rock Painting

It took me over 30 years to discover rock painting!

As a child, I enjoyed drawing and always had a pencil and/or crayons in my hand. I was one of those kids whose favorite class was art. 

But, rather than pursue an education or career in art, all artistic endeavors were forgotten when I moved to a big city, married, and had a child.

Twenty years later, I received a painted, clay pot as a Christmas gift from my sister. I loved my painted pot and it came with me (unbroken) on 3 moves to different states.


Skip ahead 13 years to where my last move took me - an environment I never experienced before - few trees and lots of rocky terrain. I thought I had landed on the moon! People used rocks instead of grass for their yard! Yuck, how ugly!

Then, I saw a review for Really Jazzy Pots: Glorious Gift Ideas and thought to myself, "I like gardening, want to paint with acrylics, loved my painted pot Christmas gift, why not give this a try."


Note: When you click on certain links in this post, I may receive a commission for the purchase of products.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
 
So, I started looking for this clay-pot-painting book. I'm the type who likes to borrow a book from the library and peruse it before making a purchase. However, my library did not have this particular book nor did my local bookstore at the time.

Months later, while I was looking through the book rack at Hobby Lobby for "Really Jazzy Pots," I discovered "Rock Painting Fun for Everyone" by Lin Wellford.


Once I started paging through Lin's book, I was hooked! It was perfect and even better than painted clay pots! The "canvas" was rocks - something plentiful where I lived! 

Each page of the rock painting book brought a smile to my face as I saw the cute things I could paint with acrylics and rocks. And, Lin's step-by-step instructions illustrated how easily I could do it!

My first kitty cats painted on rocks

I painted my first rocks seven years ago. Now my eye is drawn to rocks of all shapes, sizes and textures. I see their potential to come alive with acrylic paint to warm your heart and bring a smile to your face.

P.S. I don't think rocks are so ugly anymore.


Rock Painting Links
Lin Wellford's how-to-paint-rocks books
Free rock painting projects and other resources 
Cindy Thomas Painted Rocks on Facebook 

Note: When you click on certain links in this post, I may receive a commission for the purchase of products. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

No comments:

Post a Comment