Saturday, May 17, 2014

How to Use a Wash and Tint Technique for Painted Rocks

Painting a beloved pet from a photo proved challenging to get the fur colors accurate. A wash/tint technique saved the day when the fur was darker than I wanted.



First I identified the acrylic colors I wanted to use for Max. Learn how to identify colors from a photo.

Paint colors to use for Max


I used light brown as a base coat but it was darker than I expected. I should have used the creamy color for the base.

I started off with a too-dark base color


Rather than redo the base coat, I kept painting with the hope I could correct the fur with additional shading. But, when I thought Max was completed, the fur color just didn't seem right; it was too brown.

Max's fur looked too brown compared to his photo


I wanted a more golden hue for the fur, so I diluted raw sienna with a little water and washed it over the entire rock being careful to avoid the white areas.


When I compared the raw-sienna-tinted pup to the picture, the painted rock was now too golden. It looked nice but it wasn't Max.

The painted rock is too golden compared to the photo

Next, I diluted the light tan color (identified from Max's photo) with water and washed it over the raw-sienna tint, avoiding the white, painted areas.


That was much better even though not an exact match.

Max's fur is closer to this shade

The wash and tint technique is an effective way to subtly change a hue and soften and tone down paint colors. Because the paint has been thinned, you won't be covering up your earlier paint strokes, just tinting them.


© Cindy Thomas Painted Rocks 

No comments:

Post a Comment